In Dusk We Trust - Some Owling in Co.Durham, North East England, Great Britain
Leucistic Little Owl image copyright Hilary Chambers, Durham.

Monday, 29 November 2010

The Day The Bitterns invaded Houghton

One was good, very good.
but Two in that tiny reedbed...... unreal !

theres always some joker who has to mess around on the side lines, poking his head in to spoil a good photo

A second Bittern confirmed by JB & GC

Bittern #2
Note the white feather -
possibly the beginning of a new moult-strategy to help the Bittern blend in with our winter conditions.

snake-like in the snow

Pictures by kind permission of John Bridges & his giant flask - more at :-

Feeling intimidated by these 2 strange creatures (not the ones in the hide !), the Heron gave them a fishing lesson:-

one went to roost at 16:15, in the same spot as yesterday - climbing up into the tops of the phragmite reeds

a Little owl tonight, several Woodcock & Snipe dashing about as the light went

1,2....... but wait on.........Three !
Three Bitterns on the Patch in one day - the mind boggles


Short of ideas for a stocking filler for your Primary School aged offspring .....?

Well N#ntendo have sparked an outcry with a new game, where a 10 yr old boy runs the streets of Glasgow, smashing cars, stabbing folk & robbing houses......

about to be bitten ?

Out in the shops now, its called Wii Bastard..



Working people frequently ask retired people what They do to make their days interesting.

Well, an old couple in our street relayed this to me :-

The other day, Mary my wife and I went through the town for a bit shopping.
We were only in the first shop for about 5 minutes. When we came out there was a Polis writing out a parking ticket.
We went up to him and I said, 'Ha'way man, how about giving an old aged pensioner a break?'

He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him a f#ck wit !
He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having baldy tyres.

So Mary called him a shit head. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first.

Then he started writing a third ticket.

This went on for about 20 minutes,

The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote.

Just then our bus arrived, and we got on it and went home.

We try to have a little fun each day now that we're retired. It's important at our age.

No comments: