In Dusk We Trust - Some Owling in Co.Durham, North East England, Great Britain
Leo food-pass image copyright Michael Brady, Newcastle.


Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Local Prowler strikes gold.

Heres an account from one of our keen local owlers, of a Leo pair at dusk.


Long at last light




"just before sunset I got myself in position where the tree tops were silhouetted against the setting sun.

A short while later a male bird flew from the trees and landed in a bush only to fly away again shortly after.

He returned giving several wing claps and landed on the ground in a clearing.

The female gave a couple of mewing calls and flew into the clearing and the male flew up, back down and mated with her before flying off.

20 minutes later the male flew past wing clapping and landed in the grass about 30 yards from me.

By now it was really dark and I could just make him out, the female flew past and gave some wing claps before landing in a tree silhouetted against the now very dark sky.

The male called several times and she replied before flying past me where she sat out of sight calling.

The male flew up and circled around several times, wing clapping before flying into the trees and out of sight.

I made my exit and headed home"



A superb encounter.


Long perched

2 comments:

Andrew Kinghorn said...

I am gutted I missed it mate. I should have gone with him.

Stevie Evans ( owler ) said...

Essential ingredients:-
Patience, Stealth, Silence & an ability to keep still . . .
- more often than not a better outcome when ur by urself.

Plenty time yet.